Paul chartered with CILIP and has worked in a range of information related roles, as a Web developer in an academic library (North East Wales Institute of Higher Education now Glyndŵr University, Wrexham) and currently as an E-Learning Librarian (University of Liverpool). Paul has also worked in Further & Higher Education as a sessional tutor/lecturer of IT and is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. Paul’s research interests include educational applications of the World Wide Web, e-learning and Web accessibility. Paul has written a text on e-learning entitled Delivering e-learning for Information Services in Higher Education. Paul has written a range of articles, commentary and book reviews. Paul is an editorial board member of the Information for Social Change journal (https://informationforsocialchange.wordpress.com/) – contributing articles and editorial work, and was a committee member of the Career Development Group Wales. Paul was also a UNISON Health and Safety officer & management appointed safety officer and holds NEBOSH in Occupational Health and Safety. Paul has been a Trades Union branch committee member for UNISON and most recently, UCU. Other activities have included book chapters on Web Accessibility for information systems in Knowledge Managment, Practical, Cultural and Theoretical Perspectives and a chapter on E-Learning in Higher Education in Digitisation Perspectives. Please see the publications page for a comprehensive list, including book publications such as Delivering E-Learning.
Paul’s PhD concerned student perceptions of distributed learning (combining class-based and online learning in a low-contact and professional study context).
- 1994-1995: Library assistant (various periods), Buckley
- 1995-1996: primary education placements/ education course at North East Wales Institute.
- 1996-2000: Information services assistant at the North East Wales Institute, Wrexham (NEWI) academic library.
- 1998: BA in English Literature with Media Studies – NEWI (2:1).
- 1999: Masters degree in Library and Information Management – John Moores University (JMU), Liverpool (Distinction and the MCB Press award/ JMU masters dissertation award).
- 2000-2009: Web (and e-learning) developer, NEWI.
- 2002 – 2003: CILIP Chartership / ILT Associateship (HEA Associate Practitioner).
- 2001-2003: Part-Time Lecturer (ICT), Deeside College of Further Education.
- 2005: PhD – Manchester Metropolitan University (Part Time).
- 2009- Present: E-Learning Librarian, University of Liverpool.
- 2010-12 – Taught sessional modules at LJMU, Liverpool.
- 2017: Fellowship Higher Education Academy.